Monday, September 15, 2014

Mathematical Thinking: What do I want to know?

Soon, I'll embark yet again on an online course to develop my mathematical thinking.

I've yet to complete one online course mostly because I really profit from that face-to-face learning real time courses offer.

Yet, I want to complete this learning module as it's an area I want to know more about.  I really want to know how the experts define and develop mathematical thinking.

Over the years from teaching young children, attending courses related to K-8 mathematics, and sharing ideas with colleagues, I've developed my own understanding of mathematical thinking, an elementary notion.

But now, I want to know the language and ideals that the experts in the field promote when it comes to developing and discussing mathematical thinking.  Specifically, I want to know the following:
  1. What are the words that experts use when they discuss mathematical thinking?
  2. How does mathematical thinking develop?
  3. What are the primary considerations and most important information with regard to mathematical thinking?
  4. Why is mathematical thinking so important, and how do we use it in our everyday life?
  5. Where is mathematical thinking visible in our daily life, communities, and world at large?
  6. Who are the cutting edge experts when it comes to mathematical thinking?
  7. What questions exist with regard to mathematical thinking? 
  8. Am I currently on the right track as a mathematical thinker, and how can I grow my own skill in this area?
Now that my initial questions are posed, tonight I'll read the course introduction and prep materials. I'll set up a website, document, or other online file to collect, analyze, and share the course information. 

I know that this course will help me to teach and employ the Standards of Mathematical Practice (SMPs) well to my students. I'm looking forward to the learning.