Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Getting to Know You: The Adjustment Period


One way we're getting to know each other is sharing our favorite places in
nature with models and photos. This is an example of one students' share.
It's that time of year when we're getting to know each other, students and students, teachers and students. There are lots of surprises at the start of the year and lots of adjustment too.

I've already changed the desks three or four times as I adjust to my new room and new class. I also moved the rugs yesterday, and changed a few routines. I'm finding out what works, and what doesn't.

What do I know so far?

I know that a varied schedule works as that's a good way to meet most needs and interests.

I also know that more space for read aloud is important--we were too squished on that rug altogether, so I made a larger space with more seating choices for read aloud.

And I know we have to beef up our clean-up skills if we're going to do messy STEAM projects like the ecosystem landscape models we're working on right now.

Choice works, and I'll have to continue to build that into our learning too.

Further, good work takes time.

We're all adjusting to the new routines, new classroom, and new class. I am reminded of that daily when students ask me if it's lunch recess or morning recess--that's a sure sign the year is new.

The upside of the adjustment period is that we've all got the same goal which is to have a happy, productive, student-centered year.  Onward.