Monday, July 07, 2014

Still Room for Growth: Summer Reflections

I've taught for 28 years. That's a long time. Yet as I think about the year ahead I recognize there's still lots to learn.

Daily, I've made the 33 elements of the new Massachusetts' Educator Evaluation system, a point of morning reflection. With a title, quote, description, questions, practice paragraph, and chart, I've spent some time analyzing 17/33 elements to date. And with each element, I find that new and deeper learning exists.

Overall I've learned that the attention to the details of these elements prompts me to create a year's teaching schedule noting when each element should be emphasized and in some cases how the element should be emphasized. Some elements are critical factors for the first weeks of school while other elements are woven into the weekly teaching/learning schedule throughout the year.

If you're interested, I recommended that you use this Summer Reflection: TeachFocus website to guide your own reflection, planning, and efforts for school year 2014-2015. There's a lot to know about teaching today, and making the time during the summer months will serve you well once the year starts and the days are busy with student care and response, lesson planning and delivery, assessment and feedback, and collegial efforts.

I also welcome your ideas, feedback, and questions with respect to this site. I hope that it's helpful to you as you plan ahead whether this is your first year of teaching or your 29th like me.