Friday, July 11, 2014

Observation First

"We cannot create observers by saying 'observe,' but by giving them the power and the means for this observation and these means are procured through education of the senses."
                                                                      --Maria Montessori

Putting observation ahead of direction is a shift for me. As the oldest of six children, I often had the role of leader, director, manager of my younger brothers and sisters, and not surprisingly I've taken on that role as a professional too since I've chosen to lead young children each day as a teacher.

It's time to take that back seat for a while. Time to watch, observe, and be led rather than lead. Another vantage point.

So as I embark on an adventure with many loved ones I'll be thinking of this shift, a shift I hope to embrace for school year 2014-2015 too.

What does the observer do?

How does the observer act, react?

Who are the observer's mentors? Where does the observer gain inspiration?

I'm intrigued by this new lens.