Friday, April 04, 2014

Khan Academy: Team Fifteen 1,000 Minute Challenge

Our online Khan Rocket for recording our
class challenge minutes. 
I've been following Khan Academy since it started. I've also been using Khan's math tools since the start. First, I just used the videos once in a while to inform my own teaching/learning. Then I began sharing the videos now and then with students to strengthen the lessons and add a new voice. Then, last spring, after a parent told me more about Khan, I started recommending Khan Academy for enrichment. Now, this spring, after colleagues learned more about Khan at a The Google New England Summit, my colleagues and I opened up Khan to the whole class with a 1,000-minute-a-child 5-week challenge.

I'm a teacher who will use any and all tools and materials that I think will help my students learn with strength. In that regard, I don't offer my allegiance to any one company, process, or policy, but instead take my lead from the children and the system, state, and national standards.  Hence, I use multiple tools, processes, and policies to guide my work. I meld the children's needs and interests together with standards to design learning experiences with and for students. Therefore, my math program, for example, is blended with multiple learning venues including teacher directed lessons, problem solving, movie making, presentations, model making, Khan, games, pencil/paper practice, and more.

With regard to Khan, I'm using the platform for in-class practice/learning and at-home review. This week students mostly used Khan to practice and review fractions. As they practiced and studied, I made myself available to students who were stuck or needed help with a Khan task. I encouraged students to self advocate by telling them to come up and see me when they were stuck, and to show me the great work they were doing. Also, as they worked, I kept the computer set to the Khan reports so I could follow the minutes, actions, strengths, and challenges students presented.  I showed students the reports I see so they would know how their work is being represented.  On one occasion, most of the class had completed 30 minutes of practice while one child only completed 4 minutes. I asked him how that could be true, and he admitted he spent the time on a game--that hasn't happened since because now children know their effort is being documented.

I would recommend trying Khan Academy out as one part of your overall math program. It's great enrichment too. One of my students has spent countless hours learning to code on Khan--amazing! This grow-at-your-own-rate math program offers terrific challenge for students who are eager to develop their math learning at their own rate. It also offers parents a day-to-day detailed few of their child's knowledge and performance.

Are you using Khan?  If so, let me know how and what you're finding to be most beneficial for your students and age range. I look forward to exploring this tool more in the days to come, and I look forward to continued share with colleagues in my school and PLN so that I use this platform with for best effect.

Afterward
Clearly eager learners who could independently navigate Khan made substantial progress with math. Many achieved advanced ratings on standardized tests. Those who were unable to independently navigate the program did not make as much gain. To rectify this in the future, I plan to spend more time directly coaching students, parents, and colleagues with regard to Khan Academy's features and use. I will check in more with my outlier students, and assess with greater diversity to keep track of all learners, particularly those that struggle.

I continue to believe that Khan Academy is an exceptional tool for student learning. Khan is supported by lots of money and skill; it's an ever growing, dynamic platform that should be a part of every blended math program because it's an avenue to student success!