Sunday, March 10, 2013

Eager, Question-Driven Learners?

How do you respond to the eager, question-driven learners in your midst?  Do you tell them to stop, wait, follow procedures and not share their thoughts?  I respond to my eager, question-driven learners by pointing to paths, associations and projects which can further their learning.  I think deeply about their quests, passions and the ways that I can support their learning and inquiry.  I don't expect all their paths to be successful as I know failure is an essential part of the inquiry journey.  I also never say, "I told you so," and instead ask, "How can I help you reach your vision, goal or dream?"  I know from my reading that eager, question-driven learners have the potential to bring positive change, invention and growth to our learning communities and world.

There are some in the learning field that are repelled by questions and eager learners as these learners and their questions don't fit easily into long held systems and easy answers.  Instead these learners are challenging and can serve to disrupt fixed plans and schedules.  In some cases learners like this are asked not to blog, email or share their thoughts, but instead to follow the "process" even if the process doesn't fit the intent.

If you're an eager educator today, one who wants to use new tools better to engage and teach your students, you may face complexity as new ideas often don't fit into fixed or existing systems unless leaders are open to innovation, change and dynamic conversation. The essence of teaching well today is to be a good problem solver with forward thinking--an educator that works to match tools, processes and structure to a learner's needs, interests and passions regularly. This manner of teaching requires on your feet decision making, timely accessibility to the best tools, frequent assessment and flexible, "loose-tight" plans.

One colleague recently said, "Sometimes, you have to do what you're told."  I believe in following the law and protocol, but I worry when procedures and strategy doesn't efficiently and pointedly match up with the research and reading I'm doing about what's best for student engagement and success. This puts eager, question-driven educator-learners in a tricky position. What are your thoughts in this regard?