Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Best Games and Tools?

There are lots of tools out there, but I bet if you consulted the list of tools that you and your students use most often, you could make a shortlist of 25 or less tools.

I've been busy using a host of games and tools for student practice, learning and review. I typically choose a tool based on recommendations of teachers near and far that I trust, and then continue to use the tools if the students demonstrate growth and engagement while using the tool. I also choose tools based on the following attributes:
  • 24-7 access.
  • simplicity so that most time is spent learning.
  • engagement.
  • offers progress reports.
  • grows at a students' rate of learning, accomplishment.
  • offers diverse paths to learning
  • free or cost-effective.
My favorites tools right now include the following:

ELA/Multimedia Composition
  • Sum Dog English
  • Google Docs, Sites, Presentation
  • KidPix
  • iMovie
  • Animoto
  • Garageband
Math
  • Symphony
  • Xtra Math
  • That Quiz
  • Sum Dog
I'm ready to explore more tools such as Atlantis Quest.

I'd like to explore more tools for math, ELA, executive functioning skill and brain coaching.  What apps and computer programs do you suggest I try.  Please send me the names of tools you and students find most helpful and engaging so I can further my exploration for best effect. Thank you.